Re: [RFC v2 2/3] power: power_supply: Add core support for supplied_nodes

From: Stephen Warren
Date: Fri Feb 22 2013 - 15:09:48 EST

On 02/21/2013 04:11 PM, Rhyland Klein wrote:
> With the growing support for dt, it make sense to try to make use of
> dt features to make the general code cleaner. This patch is an
> attempt to commonize how chargers and their supplies are linked.
>
> Following common dt convention, the "supplied-to" char** list is
> replaced with phandle lists defined in the supplies which contain
> phandles of their suppliers.
>
> This has the effect however of introducing an inversion in the internal
> mechanics of how this information is stored. In the case of non-dt,
> the char** list of supplies is stored in the charger. In the dt case,
> a device_node * list is stored in the supplies of their chargers,
> however this seems to be the only way to support this.

grep over the whole kernel tree for supplied_to doesn't yield /too/ many
hits, although I didn't look at the complexity of most of them. Would it
be possible to invert all the current in-kernel uses to represent a
supplied_from/by model instead? That would mean the proposed DT binding
would then represent the same relationship ordering as the kernel code,
which would be easier to handle.