Re: [GIT PULL] Load keys from signed PE binaries

From: David Howells
Date: Thu Feb 21 2013 - 13:17:46 EST

Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > There's only one signing authority, and they only sign PE binaries.
>
> If Red Hat wants to deep-throat Microsoft, that's *your* issue. That
> has nothing what-so-ever to do with the kernel I maintain. It's
> trivial for you guys to have a signing machine that parses the PE
> binary, verifies the signatures, and signs the resulting keys with
> your own key. You already wrote the code, for chissake, it's in that
> f*cking pull request.

There's a problem with your idea.

(1) Microsoft's revocation certificates would be based on the hash of the PE
binary, not the key.

(2) Re-signing would make the keys then dependent on our master key rather
than directly on Microsoft's. Microsoft's revocation certificates[*]
would then be useless.

(3) The only way Microsoft could then revoke the extra keys would be to
revoke our *master* key.

[*] Assuming of course we add support for these.

David