Re: Wonky PS2-USB converter issues...

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Wed Feb 20 2013 - 19:15:36 EST

On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 16:07:49 -0800, Greg Kroah-Hartman said:

> PS-2 connectors can not normally handle hotplugging, the protocol
> doesn't allow it, and for some unlucky devices, it could actually fry
> the motherboard or the PS-2 device.
>
> So that's probably the issue here, the device just doesn't support it,
> sorry.

You mis-understood the problem.

This works:

PS/2 keyboard plugged into this device:
Bus 006 Device 002: ID 0e8f:0020 GreenAsia Inc. USB to PS/2 Adapter
USB side of device plugged into USB port on the Latitude laptop.
Power up, boot - the keyboard works.

If you plug the USB side of the GreenAsia adapter into a USB slot on
the dock, the keyboard is dead and not recognized by the system. However,
replugging the USB, or unplug/plug the PS/2 side, and it becomes recognized
and starts working.

This tells me that the dock is doing something busted with USB that the laptop
does correctly, and not enumerating devices until something happens to whack it
upside the head. I was hoping to identify it and maybe quirk it.