Re: [resend] Timer broadcast question

From: Thomas Gleixner
Date: Wed Feb 20 2013 - 05:09:15 EST

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> On 02/19/2013 10:21 AM, Daniel Lezcano wrote:

> >> Correct.

> >> It is possible, but we never implemented it.
> >>
> >> If we go there, we want to make that conditional on a property flag,
> >> because some interrupt controllers especially on x86 only allow to
> >> move the affinity from interrupt context, which is pointless.
> >
> > Thanks Thomas for your quick answer. I will write a RFC patchset.
>
> I'm curious what the use case is. I played with this code awhile ago,
> and AFAICT it's not used on sensible (i.e. modern) systems. Is there
> anything other than old x86 machines that needs it?

If the local apic timer is not affected by C-States, it's irrelevant,
but there are enough machines out there which do not have that. The
point is that we want a flag on the broadcast device which tells us
whether we should use dynamic affinity settings or not. On x86 we
would not set that flag ever.

Thanks,

tglx