Re: What is tip-bot?

From: Randy Dunlap
Date: Tue Feb 19 2013 - 20:13:57 EST

On 02/19/13 16:54, Alexander Holler wrote:
> Am 19.02.2013 23:54, schrieb Randy Dunlap:

>>> So messages from tip-bot are just acknowledgments (like those from Greg)
>>> that a patch has found it's way into one of the trees, with the
>>> difference that tip-bot sends those acknowledgments to lkml too, whereas
>>> Greg's scripts send them only to involved parties and not the lkml?
>>
>> Yes, that is my understanding of it.
>>

> Thanks a lot for clarification.
>
> In the meanwhile I've found an article at lwn about the kernel development process which lists many of the git repositories used by various maintainers. And that list includes tip. ;)
>
> So the reason for my ignorance was that I didn't know that tip is actually the name of a git repository used by the x86 maintainers.

I can understand that.

The kernel tree MAINTAINERS file says for X86:

X86 ARCHITECTURE (32-BIT AND 64-BIT)
M: Thomas Gleixner <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
M: Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxxxxx>
M: "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@xxxxxxxxx>
M: x86@xxxxxxxxxx
T: git git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tip/tip.git x86/core
S: Maintained
F: Documentation/x86/
F: arch/x86/

--