RE: How to populate Battery information through ACPI tables

From: Pallala, Ramakrishna
Date: Tue Feb 19 2013 - 12:46:33 EST

> > > You should start by reading Documentation/acpi/enumeration.txt.
> > >
> > > Also can you describe with bit more details, what you are trying to
> > > do? A new battery driver that is enumerated from ACPI namespace, perhaps?
> > >
> > > Do you have a DSDT table in hand which we could take a peek?
> >
> > Thanks Mika for the pointers. I have looked at the documentation.
> >
> > we already have i2c driver for battery monitoring but the chip needs
> > initialized with characterization data. We wanted to populate/pass
> > this data through ACPI table to the i2c slave driver.
> >
> > How can I do that? Can I pass characterization data through ACPI table
> > to the i2c slave device?
>
> Is the characterization data available in DSDT (or SSDT) table? If yes, then you
> can just use the fact that ACPI_HANDLE(&i2c_client->dev) returns a valid ACPI
> handle for your device. You can use this handle to call some ACPI method or
> whaterver is needed to extract that information.

As of now this data is not there in any table. I want to put this data in DSDT table.
The data I want to put is specific to the device and will be around 1K bytes.

One question, How the table and device are linked? Is it by device name/id?
Next, how to put this characterization data into the DSDT table?

Thanks,
Ram