Re: Debugging Thinkpad T430s occasional suspend failure.

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Feb 19 2013 - 03:56:35 EST

* Paul E. McKenney <paulmck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 09:41:30AM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> >
> > * H. Peter Anvin <hpa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > I have not been able to reproduce this; it seems to Just
> > > Work[TM].
> > >
> > > The syscall header stuff is definitely not to blame: it
> > > doesn't even *see* the CONFIG_ settings; instead they are only
> > > used to determine which subset of files to create, but the
> > > files themselves are configuration-independent. This is by
> > > design.
> > >
> > > As such, without an actual known to fail test case there isn't
> > > much I can do.
> >
> > I tried (based on the versions given by Paul):
> >
> > git checkout v3.7-rc7
> > make ARCH=i386 defconfig
> > make -j64 bzImage
> >
> > git checkout v3.8-rc7
> > make ARCH=x86_64 olddefconfig
> > make -j64 bzImage
> >
> > but it built just fine. The build bug might depend on the
> > specific config file, or might depend on tooling details?
>
> The problem is that the git tree I used is one that I build out of
> very infrequently, and so all I really know about the previous
> build was that it was done a long time ago. :-(

Unless you recreated the Git repo from scratch, you could find
clues about past versions used in .git/logs/HEAD.

Except if you used it to pull bits frequently - but built rarely
out of it. In that case the information is probably lost.

(Don't worry about it too much - someone will eventually hit it
again during bisection or so.)

Thanks,

Ingo