Re: Should a swapped out page be deleted from swap cache?

From: Li Haifeng
Date: Tue Feb 19 2013 - 01:53:48 EST

2013/2/19 Will Huck <will.huckk@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On 02/19/2013 10:04 AM, Li Haifeng wrote:

>>> Yes, unless the page is referenced again before it comes to be
>>> deleted from swap cache.

>>> I would not say "must not": we just prefer not to waste time on swapping
>>> a page out if its use count has already gone to 0. And its use count
>>> might go down to 0 an instant after swap_writepage() makes that check.
>>>
>> Thanks for your reply and patience.
>>
>> If a anonymous page is swapped out and comes to be reclaimable,
>> shrink_page_list() will call __remove_mapping() to delete the page
>> swapped out from swap cache. Corresponding code lists as below.
>

> I'm not sure if
> if (PageAnon(page) && !PageSwapCache(page)) {
> }
> will add the page to swap cache again.

Adding the page to swap cache is the first stage of memory reclaiming.

When an anonymous page will be reclaimed, it should be swapped out. If
it's not in the swap cache, it will insert into swap cache first and
set the bit of PG_swapcache on page->flags. Then, it will be swapped
out by try_to_unmap(). After it's swapped out, and no processes swap
in this page, the page will be deleted from swap cache and be put into
buddy system.

Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Regards,
Haifeng Li.