Re: [RFC] perf: need to expose sched_clock to correlate user sampleswith kernel samples

From: Stephane Eranian
Date: Mon Feb 18 2013 - 10:17:03 EST

Hi,

I think the advantage of the ioctl() is that is reuses existing infrastructure.
The downside is that to get the timestamp you need at a minimum:

uint64_t get_perf_timestamp(void)
{
struct perf_event_attr attr;
uint64_t ts = 0;
int fd;

memset(&attr, 0, sizeof(attr));

/* pick a dummy SW event (no PMU HW resource allocated), keep it disabled */
attr.type = PERF_TYPE_SOFTWARE;
attr.config = PERF_COUNT_SW_CPU_CLOCK; /* dummy event */
attr.disabled = 1;

/* attach to self in per-thread mode */
fd = perf_event_open(&attr, 0, -1, -1, 0);
if (fd == -1)
return 0;

ioctl(fd, PERF_EVENT_IOC_GET_TIME, &ts);
close(fd);

return ts;
}

This function is likely to be called multiple times. So we could cache
the fd and reuse it.
There would be a bigger penalty only for the first call. Thereafter it
would cost probably
just a bit more than the pfm_control() approach, because of the need
to go through VFS.
So I am fine with this.