Re: [-rc7 regression] Buggy commit: "mm: use aligned zone start forpfn_to_bitidx calculation"

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Feb 16 2013 - 14:51:28 EST

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 11:38 AM, Yinghai Lu <yinghai@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> but you forgot to update setup_usemap() for SPARSEMEM

Heh. I tried desperately to find a config to test my patch in, because
I couldn't see how to even disable SPARSEMEM for my normal x86-64
build. But then I *only* tested it for that non-SPARSEMEM case,
expecting that to be what showed any problems. The fact that I didn't
bother testing my normal config is a bit ironic.

But I'd still like verification that it actually fixes Ingo's issue.
It *looks* like it should, and it would explain the potential for
memory corruption, but perhaps Ingo's odd lock-up is due to something
really subtle and unrelated to the actual allocation size.

Linus