Re: 3.8-rc regression with pps-ldisc due to 70ece7a731

From: George Spelvin
Date: Wed Feb 06 2013 - 14:45:23 EST

> Tight coupling is what caused this to break in the first place -- I
> don't think tighter coupling is the right answer.

Agreed. But given that n_tty already knows there are wrappers, it would
have been possible to find a cleaner way to access an "aux pointer" in
the tty structure, if that's what was desired.

> You are not supposed to receive ldisc->dcd_change() calls outside
> the open()/close() pair.

Yes, I figured that out. I was wondering because I couldn't see any
way that the serial interrupt hander was blocked or masked, but
then I figured out that it's not, but instead the TTY_LDISC flag
is used.

At the time the open() method is called, the flag is cleared, which makes
tty_ldisc_ref() return NULL, which prevents calling the ldisc methods.

> In the patch series I sent, I changed the BUG_ON() to WARN_ON_ONCE().
> Please reply to that patch with the snipped kernel log output if it
> warns in your testing and we'll go from there.

I really doubt it will. The entire code change and comment was
just caution on my part.

>> (Have I mentioned how ANNOYING it is when the kernel dumps more than
>> 50 lines of crash message to the console screen and then locks
>> the keyboard so I can't scroll back?)

> netconsole on 2nd machine (see Documentation/networking/netconsole.txt)

Oh, that survives interrupt crashes? Thank you!