Comparing linux kernel trees.

From: James Courtier-Dutton
Date: Sun Jan 20 2013 - 06:19:58 EST

Hi,

I have been given a linux kernel sources tar file.
It contains a modified version of the linux kernel.
It is just source files, without any "git" history.
What I would like to do is compare this with the mainline linux kernel
git tree, and find the tag from the kernel git tree that this source
code is most similar to.
E.g. Finding the source code is really kernel 3.2.1 with some minor changes.
My plan at the moment is just to automate a checkout of every git tag,
then run diff -ur on it, and then choose the smallest diff file
output.
But, has anyone got a better method?

Kind Regards

James