Re: mmots: memory-hotplug: implement register_page_bootmem_info_sectionof sparse-vmemmap fix

From: Tang Chen
Date: Fri Jan 11 2013 - 07:07:07 EST

On 01/11/2013 06:47 PM, Michal Hocko wrote:

Darn! And now that I am looking at the patch closer it is too x86
centric so this cannot be in the generic code. I will try to cook
something better. Sorry about the noise.

It is more complicated than I thought. One would tell it's a mess.
The patch bellow fixes the compilation issue but I am not sure we want
to include memory_hotplug.h into arch/x86/mm/init_64.c. Moreover

+void register_page_bootmem_memmap(unsigned long section_nr,
+ struct page *start_page, unsigned long size)
+{
+ /* TODO */
+}

for other archs would suggest that the code is not ready yet. Should
this rather be dropped for now?

Hi Michal,

Do you mean remove register_page_bootmem_memmap() from other
architectures ? Well, I think this function is called by
register_page_bootmem_info_section(), which is a common function
in mm/memory_hotplug.c shared by all architectures. So I don't think
we should remove it. :)

Thanks. :)