Re: [ANNOUNCE] 3.7-nohz1

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Sat Dec 29 2012 - 22:57:00 EST

On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 12:43:25AM +0100, Frederic Weisbecker wrote:
> 2012/12/21 Steven Rostedt <rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > On Thu, 2012-12-20 at 19:32 +0100, Frederic Weisbecker wrote:
> >> Let's imagine you have 4 CPUs. We keep the CPU 0 to offline RCU callbacks there and to
> >> handle the timekeeping. We set the rest as full dynticks. So you need the following kernel
> >> parameters:
> >>
> >> rcu_nocbs=1-3 full_nohz=1-3
> >>
> >> (Note rcu_nocbs value must always be the same as full_nohz).
> >
> > Why? You can't have: rcu_nocbs=1-4 full_nohz=1-3
>
> That should be allowed.
>
> > or: rcu_nocbs=1-3 full_nohz=1-4 ?
>
> But that not.
>
> You need to have: rcu_nocbs & full_nohz == full_nohz. This is because
> the tick is not there to maintain the local RCU callbacks anymore. So
> this must be offloaded to the rcu_nocb threads.
>
> I just have a doubt with rcu_nocb. Do we still need the tick to
> complete the grace period for local rcu callbacks? I need to discuss
> that with Paul.

The tick is only needed if rcu_needs_cpu() returns false. Of course,
this means that if you don't invoke rcu_needs_cpu() before returning to
adaptive-idle usermode execution, you are correct that a full_nohz CPU
would also have to be a rcu_nocbs CPU.

That said, I am getting close to having an rcu_needs_cpu() that only
returns false if there are callbacks immediately ready to invoke, at
least if RCU_FAST_NO_HZ=y.

Thanx, Paul