Re: BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at 0000000000000500

From: Zlatko Calusic
Date: Fri Dec 28 2012 - 08:43:47 EST

On 28.12.2012 10:01, Zhouping Liu wrote:
On 12/28/2012 10:45 AM, Zhouping Liu wrote:
Thank you for the report Zhouping!

Would you be so kind to test the following patch and report results?
Apply the patch to the latest mainline.
Hello Zlatko,

I have tested the below patch(applied it on mainline directly),
but IMO, I'd like to say it maybe don't fix the issue completely.

Hi Zlatko,

I re-tested it on another machine, which has 60+ Gb RAM and 4 numa nodes,
without your patch, it's easy to reproduce the 'NULL pointer' error,
after applying your patch, I couldn't reproduce the issue any more.

depending on the above, it implied that your patch fixed the issue.

Yes, that's exactly what I expected. Just wanted to doublecheck this time. Live and learn. ;)

but in my last mail, I tested it on two machines, which caused hung task
with your patch,
so I'm confusing is it your patch block some oom-killer performance? if
it's not, your patch is good for me.

From what I know, the patch shouldn't have much influence on the oom killer, if any. But, as all those subsystems are closely interconnected, both oom & vmscan code is mm after all, there could be some interference. Is the hung-task issue repeatable?
--
Zlatko