Re: Minimum toolchain requirements?

From: Shaun Ruffell
Date: Thu Dec 27 2012 - 15:21:35 EST

Hi Rob,

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 04:25:10PM -0600, Rob Landley wrote:
> Although the README and Documentation/Changes both say the kernel
> builds with gcc 3.2, this is no loner the case. In reality the new
> 3.7 kernel no longer builds under unpatched gcc 4.2.1 (the last
> GPLv2 release).
>
> Building for i686 breaks with
> "arch/x86/kernel/cpu/perf_event_p6.c:22: error:
> p6_hw_cache_event_ids causes a section type conflict" (trivial
> workaround: patch kernel so CONFIG_BROKEN_RODATA defaults to y).

I came across your email while searching for a solution to the above
build error.

In addition to setting CONFIG_BROKEN_RODATA=y, Jan Beulich sent a
patch [1] to LKML that also fixes this build problem for me.

[1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/11/23/308

It doesn't appear to have hit Linus' tree yet though, but with luck
someone will pick it up before 3.8 final.

Cheers,
Shaun