Re: Regression in kernel 3.8-rc1 bisected to commit adfa79d: I nowget many "unable to enumerate USB device" messages

From: Alan Stern
Date: Tue Dec 25 2012 - 11:26:02 EST

On Mon, 24 Dec 2012, Larry Finger wrote:

> The problem has been bisected to commit adfa79d entitled "USB: EHCI: make
> ehci-pci a separate driver". The symptom is that my NVIDIA controller again
> reverts to unended logging of messages of the form "hub 2-0:1.0: unable to
> enumerate USB device on port 5".

A few more details would be helpful, such as the dmesg log (with
CONFIG_USB_DEBUG enabled). As it is, I don't see how that commit could
cause this problem. It should not have resulted in any changes in
behavior -- all it did was split up a driver that was one module into
two modules.

> This behavior was previously fixed with commit c618759.

That commit affected the ohci-hcd driver, whereas this one affects
ehci-hcd. They can't possibly be related.

Alan Stern