Re: [tip:x86/microcode] x86/microcode_intel_early.c: Early updateucode on Intel's CPU

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Wed Dec 19 2012 - 19:02:45 EST

On 12/19/2012 03:40 PM, Borislav Petkov wrote:

This is done on the BSP, right? So we can measure it how long it takes
by taking TSC values of start and end.

Yes, and we can count the number of #PF traps cheaply enough. It would be interesting to put a counter on the number of #PFs and the number of resets and read them out on a large-system boot.

Sounds doable but we should take a hard look at the patches so that we
don't miss anything.

Also, I don't know how stuff like that would be approached for a wider
testing - I mean, it is a serious change in x86 boot code and there will
be issues.

The goal should be to have this into -tip and -next by the middle of January in order to make the 3.9 merge window, I think.

-hpa