Re: [tip:x86/microcode] x86/microcode_intel_early.c: Early updateucode on Intel's CPU

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Wed Dec 19 2012 - 18:57:41 EST

On 12/19/2012 03:55 PM, Borislav Petkov wrote:
On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 03:50:14PM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
We are trying to discuss mitigation strategies with you, but you
haven't really given us any useful information, e.g. what happens near
the various boundaries of the hole, what could trigger prefeching into
the range, and what it would take to fix the BIOSes.

Another thing we could do (I admit it is ugly) is to add a quirk to the
#MC handler and detect that specific condition by looking at the address
reported in MCi_ADDR and exit early by not panicking the system.

Again, this is ugly but a possibility, still.

I would really, really hate to have to deal with an early MCE handler, too.

-hpa