Re: [tip:x86/microcode] x86/microcode_intel_early.c: Early updateucode on Intel's CPU

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Wed Dec 19 2012 - 18:43:53 EST

On 12/19/2012 03:40 PM, Yinghai Lu wrote:
On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 3:22 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The other bit is that building the real kernel page tables iteratively
(ignoring the early page tables here) is safer, since the real page
table builder is fully aware of the memory map. This means any
"spillover" from the early page tables gets minimized to regions where
there are data objects that have to be accessed early. Since Yinghai
already had iterative page table building working, I don't see any
reason to not use that capability.

that is v6, right?

including that patch

No, that's just a different way to create the early page tables (and it doesn't solve anything, quite on the contrary.) I'm talking about the strategy for creating the *permanent* page tables

-hpa