Re: kswapd craziness in 3.7

From: Zlatko Calusic
Date: Wed Dec 19 2012 - 17:24:14 EST

On 11.12.2012 01:19, Zlatko Calusic wrote:
On 10.12.2012 20:13, Linus Torvalds wrote:

It's worth giving this as much testing as is at all possible, but at
the same time I really don't think I can delay 3.7 any more without
messing up the holiday season too much. So unless something obvious
pops up, I will do the release tonight. So testing will be minimal -
but it's not like we haven't gone back-and-forth on this several times
already, and we revert to *mostly* the same old state as 3.6 anyway,
so it should be fairly safe.

So, here's what I found. In short: close, but no cigar!

Kswapd is certainly no more CPU pig, and memory seems to be utilized
properly (the kernel still likes to keep 400MB free, somebody else can
confirm if that's to be expected on a 4GB THP-enabled machine). So it
looks very decent, and much better than anything I run in last 10 days,
barring !THP kernel.

What remains a mystery is that kswapd occassionaly still likes to get
stuck in a D state, only now it recovers faster than before (sometimes
in a matter of seconds, but sometimes it takes a few minutes). Now, I
admit it's a small, maybe even cosmetic issue. But, it could also be a
warning sign of a bigger problem that will reveal itself on a more
loaded machine.

Ha, I nailed it!

The cigar aka the explanation together with a patch will follow shortly in a separate topic.

It's a genuine bug that has been with us for a long long time.
--
Zlatko