Re: [regression] 3.7 ends in APIC panic

From: Bernd Schubert
Date: Mon Dec 17 2012 - 04:34:50 EST

On 12/16/2012 09:39 PM, Borislav Petkov wrote:
On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 08:46:06PM +0100, Bernd Schubert wrote:
Hmm, I read it the other way around - x2apic depends on interrupt
remapping, but interrupt remapping can be used without x2apic.

Ok, you're right. X2APIC should depend on IRQ_REMAP:
https://lwn.net/Articles/289881/

The help text of CONFIG_IRQ_REMAP also says "x2APIC enhancements or to
support platforms with CPU's having > 8 bit APIC ID, say Y." I guess
may CPU has the latter?

I think it is what Yinghai said - you obviously need x2apic kernel
support if you have IRQ_REMAP on.

Can the kernel panic a bit improved to help user to understand what
needs to be enabled?

Well, your kernel enables IRQ_REMAP properly:

[ 0.031115] Enabled IRQ remapping in x2apic mode

I guess at that stage we could probably check for x2apic support and
scream loudly if it is not present... IMHO.

Hmm, I think that would the wrong place, as the initial 3.7.0 configuration didn't have IRQ_REMAP enabled. And that was the reason why x2apic got disabled during the "make oldconfig" process...

Is this message an indication for missing x2apic?

"smpboot: weird, boot (#255) not listed by the BIOS"

Thanks,
Bernd