Re: [GIT PULL] perf changes for v3.8

From: David Ahern
Date: Thu Dec 13 2012 - 11:24:12 EST

On 12/13/12 9:03 AM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 6:30 AM, David Ahern <dsahern@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

One of the problems is that existing binaries set the exclude_guest flag
(https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/7/9/292).

[ to zero ]

Yeah. And it apparently *never* worked. So it's not a regression.

The flag works. It does have a purpose. I did not write the original code; I am not defending its design. It is what is. We now have a catastrophic problem that needs to be fixed.

So instead, you expect everybody else - for whom things *used* to work
- to upgrade their binary, or their scripts, or just start using an
insane command line flag that makes no sense for them? Forcing
non-virtualization users to use a "only trace the host" flag is crazy.

Either way, somebody will be unhappy. No question about that. But our
rule in the kernel is "no regressions".

But that whole "no regressions" really is important. I can work around
things very easily, but the "no regressions" rule really means that I
should never *need* to work around things.

I get the regressions point. I have seen that statement from you enough I think you have it on a permanent copy-and-paste shortcut.

Without the kernel side restriction existing perf binaries will crash all running VMs. I could write the patch to completely invert the exclude_guest logic -- make it include_guest. That breaks all existing perf binaries as well - just a different syntax that gets broken. That regression is acceptable?

David