Re: [GIT PULL] perf changes for v3.8

From: David Ahern
Date: Wed Dec 12 2012 - 23:31:22 EST

On 12/12/12 8:51 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
SO WHY DON'T YOU JUST DO THAT THEN?

Disable PEBS on Vt-x enter and re-enable it on exit. End of story.
Exactly like you say.

See commit 26a4f3c0. But that was not enough. Requiring exclude_guest was another required piece. If you want to see the discussion: https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/7/9/264

But doing it this way was wrong. Switch that "exclude_guest" attribute
around, and admit that "H" was bogus, and that the right thing to do
was to add a "V" flag that sets the "force_guest" flag instead.

I understand this is annoying. Older binaries on newer kernels was the only case I could not fix. (I guess a message could be added kernel side to at least give a hint.) But the alternative -- based on code that has existed for some time -- is for older binaries to crash VMs.

David