Re: [tip:x86/microcode] x86/microcode_intel_early.c: Early updateucode on Intel's CPU

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Tue Dec 11 2012 - 13:02:39 EST

On 12/11/2012 09:15 AM, Yinghai Lu wrote:
On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 9:06 AM, Borislav Petkov <bp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 09:00:55AM -0800, Yinghai Lu wrote:
ok, then next question is how early it should be.

before early_cpu_init/early_identify_cpu

or just before check_bugs/identify_cpu

Read the code. It's in x86_64_start_kernel on 64-bit.

No, that is not right place. initrd could be loaded anywhere like way
high by bootloader.

The more I think about it, the more I think the right answer is the one we have pretty stated all along: if using the 64-bit entry point it is the responsibility of the boot loader to make sure the kernel, the setup data, and the initramfs are all mapped on entry.

-hpa