Re: [tip:x86/microcode] x86/microcode_intel_early.c: Early updateucode on Intel's CPU

From: Yinghai Lu
Date: Tue Dec 11 2012 - 12:15:18 EST

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 9:06 AM, Borislav Petkov <bp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 09:00:55AM -0800, Yinghai Lu wrote:
>> ok, then next question is how early it should be.
>>
>> before early_cpu_init/early_identify_cpu
>>
>> or just before check_bugs/identify_cpu
>
> Read the code. It's in x86_64_start_kernel on 64-bit.

No, that is not right place. initrd could be loaded anywhere like way
high by bootloader.

to make code simple, we should have following sequence in setup_arch

early_ioremap_init()
early_update_microcode()...
early_cpu_init()

early_update_microcode could use early_ioremap to access initrd ramdisk area.

Yinghai