Re: backing up ext4 fs, system unresponsive, thrashing like crazyeven though swap is unused

From: Dimitrios Apostolou
Date: Mon Dec 03 2012 - 14:34:57 EST

On Mon, 3 Dec 2012, Eric Paris wrote:

On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 12:43 PM, Theodore Ts'o <tytso@xxxxxxx> wrote:

If you are seeing a large number of inodes still in the ext4 inode
cache after using drop_caches, then I'd look to see whether you have
something like SELinux or auditing enabled which is pinning a bunch of
dentries or inodes

You can safely ignore this suggestion as it does make sense. SELinux
only grabs a references to dentries during its call to
fs_ops->getxattr, which can't last a meaningful length of time (unless
the filesystem is busted). It only grabs references to inodes during
system initialization, when you couldn't have many in core.

Audit, likewise, only grabs a reference to a dentry during execve()
and only long enough to run getxattr and does not grab any reference
directly to an inode at all.

AFAICT I use neither SELinux nor audit.

or whether your backup program (or some other
program running on your system) is keeping lots of directories or
inodes open for some reason.

Certainly could be this suggestion though..

I've managed to reproduce the scenario with concurrent "du" commands running on the filesystems. I'll try doing it once more, but it may take a while to get the dmesg/slabinfo etc output, since even a realtime root shell is non-responsive for many minutes.

What other debug output do you suggest to get, to find out why ext4 inodes are pinned?

Thanks,
Dimitris