Re: [Suggestion] drivers/tty: drivers/char/: for MAX_ASYNC_BUFFER_SIZE

From: Chen Gang
Date: Thu Nov 29 2012 - 00:56:57 EST

ä 2012å11æ29æ 13:13, Greg KH åé:
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 12:40:49PM +0800, Chen Gang wrote:
>> Hello Greg Kroah-Hartman:
>>
>> for MAX_ASYNC_BUFFER_SIZE:
>> it is defined as 4096;
>> but for the max buffer size which it processes, is 65535.
>> so suggest to #define MAX_ASYNC_BUFFER_SIZE 0x10000 (better than 0xffff)
>
> Please, send tty questions to the linux-serial@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx list
> also.

I cc to linux-serial@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, in this reply.

I referenced the file MAINTAINERS, before sent original mail:

it seems all drivers/tty/serial/* are relative with
linux-serial@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx but our case is not relative
drivers/tty/serial. so for not bother them, I am not send to them,
originally.

in MAINTAINERS, line 7438, I find for common of driver/tty/*, can send
to you and no cc, so I send you and cc to linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

next time, for all tty questions, I will cc to
linux-serial@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (not cc to linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx).

> And, I really don't understand here, why do you want to change this?
> What is it going to change? And why?

Why:
for the context MGSLPC_INFO *info in drivers/char/pcmcia/synclink_cs.c
info->max_frame_size can be the value between 4096 .. 65535 (can be
set by its module input parameter)
info->flag_buf length is 4096 (MAX_ASYNC_BUFFER_SIZE)
in function rx_get_frame
the framesize is limit by info->max_frame_size, but may still be
larger that 4096.
when call function ldisc_receive_buf, info->flag_buf is equal to
4096, but framesize can be more than 4096. it will cause memory over flow.

What:
#define MAX_ASYNC_BUFFER_SIZE 0x10000 (instead of 4096, originally).
let it match the max frame size.

At last:
my suggestion may be incorrect, need relative member (who expert about
it) to help checking.

welcome another suggestion or completions.

thanks.

gchen.

> greg k-h
> --