Re: Why Cypress does not upstream its trackpad driver?

From: Kamal Mostafa
Date: Wed Nov 07 2012 - 13:32:16 EST

On Tue, 2012-11-06 at 17:47 -0500, Ozan ÃaÄlayan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This driver [0] was written with a cooperation of Cypress, Dell and
> Canonical Engineers within the last 3-4 months. It is very nice that
> Cypress as a vendor cooperated with Canonical (Because Canonical works
> with Dell for their Project Sputnik and Dell XPS13 is used as the main
> hardware for that project and Dell XPS13 has this type of trackpad,
> Bingo!), and I am also glad that Ubuntu users benefits from this
> driver.
>
> The driver brings multi-touch scrolling, disable-while-tapping and
> makes Fn+Fx touchpad disable/enable work for not only Dell XPS13 but
> for all laptops having this trackpad (My Lenovo Ultrabook U300s for
> example, I tested the patches on fedora 17's 3.6 kernel and it works
> quiet nice)
>
> But what I am not getting that why NOBODY from Cypress/Canonical/Dell
> isn't bothering to push this driver to upstream?

In fact, Canonical is working on preparing the Cypress PS/2 trackpad
driver for submitting upstream.

> Is it too hard? I don't think so as the patches are quite non-invasive
> and small.

Your estimate of the work/risk involved not withstanding, I chose to
deploy this experimental driver in stages -- first in the oem-specific
"Sputnik project" kernel, then (recently) in the main Ubuntu kernel,
then finally (soon) upstream -- so as to minimize regressions while
shaking out the bugs. For example, the version to which you linked does
include a regression (breaks some ALPS touchpads) which we discovered
only after deploying in Ubuntu.

I expect to submit the Cypress driver upstream within two weeks. Of
course, my work on the driver is (and has been) publicly available[1].

-Kamal Mostafa <kamal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

[1] The latest version of this driver is represented by the patch set:
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=ubuntu%2Fubuntu-quantal.git&a=search&h=HEAD&st=commit&s=Cypress+PS%2F2