Re: [BUGFIX] PM: Fix active child counting when disabled and forbidden

From: Alan Stern
Date: Wed Nov 07 2012 - 12:16:55 EST

On Wed, 7 Nov 2012, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> > The PCI subsystem assumes that
> > driverless devices are not in use, so they are disabled for runtime PM
> > and marked as suspended. This is not appropriate for VGA devices,
> > which can indeed be used without a driver.
> >
> > I'm not sure what the best solution is. Maybe we should Ying's
> > proposal a step farther:
> >
> > Make pm_runtime_set_suspended() fail if runtime PM is
> > forbidden.
> >
> > Make pm_runtime_forbid() call pm_runtime_set_active()
> > (and do a runtime resume of the parent) if disable_depth > 0.
>
> I'd prefer this one.

That wasn't meant to be a choice. The first item is close to what the
original patch did; I was suggesting that we should adopt all three
items.

If you adopt the second item but not the first then things won't work
when a driver is removed after power/control is set to "on".

> The callers of pm_runtime_forbid() may actually
> reasonably expect something like this to happen.
>
> > Make the PCI runtime-idle routine call
> > pm_runtime_set_suspended() if disable_depth > 0. Or maybe
> > do this for all devices, in the runtime PM core.
>
> That would mean calling it on every call to pm_runtime_put() and friends
> which seems to be a bit wasteful.

Not on every call; only when disable_depth > 0. We don't expect to see
idle calls very often under those circumstances.

Alan Stern