Re: VFS hot tracking: How to calculate data temperature?

From: Zheng Liu
Date: Tue Nov 06 2012 - 03:26:46 EST

On Mon, Nov 05, 2012 at 10:29:39AM +0800, Zhi Yong Wu wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 4:41 PM, Zheng Liu <gnehzuil.liu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 02, 2012 at 02:38:29PM +0800, Zhi Yong Wu wrote:
> >> Here also has another question.
> >>
> >> How to save the file temperature among the umount to be able to
> >> preserve the file tempreture after reboot?
> >>
> >> This above is the requirement from DB product.
> >> I thought that we can save file temperature in its inode struct, that
> >> is, add one new field in struct inode, then this info will be written
> >> to disk with inode.
> >>
> >> Any comments or ideas are appreciated, thanks.
> >
> > Hi Zhiyong,
> >
> > I think that we might define a callback function. If a filesystem wants
> > to save these data, it can implement a function to save them. The
> > filesystem can decide whether adding it or not by themselves.
> Great idea, temperature saving function is maybe very specific to FS.
> But i am wondering if we can find one generic way to save temperature
> info at first.

I don't think a generic way is better because it cannot support a
variety of filesystems. So maybe you must answer this question firstly:
how many filesystems do you want to save this info? such as ext4, xfs,
btrfs, etc. Then we can try to find a generic way. If only these three
filesystems you want to support, maybe saving in xattr is an optional
way.

Regards,
Zheng