Re: [ANNOUNCE] 3.6.5-rt14

From: Ove Karlsen
Date: Sat Nov 03 2012 - 16:04:43 EST

Den 01.11.2012 21:57, skrev Thomas Gleixner:
Dear RT Folks,

I'm pleased to announce the 3.6.5-rt14 release. 3.6.4-rt12 is an
intermediate release with a few changes. 3.6.5-rt13 is an update to
3.6.5 and 3.6.5-rt14 has a fix for my stupidity to release from the
wrong tree missing a fix for x86-32.

Changes since 3.6.3-rt11:

* Fix the fallout of preempt_lazy

* Add preempt_lazy support for ARM and POWERPC

* Fix a 32bit compile warning which got introduced with the
random fixes.

* Fix a missing lock conversion in the decive tree code

The delta patch against 3.6.4-rt11 is can be found here:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/3.6/incr/patch-3.6.4-rt11-rt12.patch.xz

The RT patch against 3.6.5 can be found here:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/3.6/patch-3.6.5-rt14.patch.xz

The split quilt queue is available at:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/3.6/patches-3.6.5-rt14.tar.xz

Enjoy,

tglx

Heya I see jitter is a focus on the RT patch.
I was wondering, what settings in features.h gives the least jitter? (I am a real perfectionist)
Also what kind of threadpriorities gives the least jitter, particulary with a focus on OpenGL? (Should some kernelthreads be reniced, for instance softirqs etc)
And have you given consideration to the fact that most distros and OS grow with some levels of bloat, and everyone can`t be an expert, so maybe one shold consider a (scheduler) queue for "bloat", and one queue for main app, so that even bloated distros can run with the jitteramount of a highly specialized distro? (for instance mainapp,service1,mainapp,service2,mainapp,service3), if bloat is on queue 2. Or is thins kind of thinking already in batch, or idle?
--
Fred være med deg / Peace Be with You,
Ove Karlsen