Re: Expressing linux-next collateral evolutions in formal grammar

From: Julia Lawall
Date: Fri Nov 02 2012 - 05:48:23 EST

The way I would envision this to be easier to manage is to break them
down by subsystem and the reviewer can then go and read the grammar
for their own subsystem of preference. The long term benefit of this
is that even if folks don't use SmPL for collateral evolutions we have
a possibility here of being able to backport a collateral evolution by
using the inverse of the SmPL grammar, if we can get to the point of
coming up with formal and proper grammar on each collateral evolution.

Thoughts?

I had liked the idea of lwn, because that makes it public but doesn't bother anyone. But another option would be to just send an email to the relevant maintainer? Perhaps it would be better to send the email just to the specific maintainer for the file, and not all the way up the maintainer hierarchy, because these would be just suggestions of things to look at, and not actual patch proposals.

thanks,
julia