Re: urandom is too slow

From: Lasse Kärkkäinen
Date: Thu Nov 01 2012 - 21:10:06 EST

On 30.10.2012 23:38, Alan Cox wrote:
If you want to wipe a disk issue a security erase command via hdparm. There is no guarantee that simply writing crap all over it will re-use the same sectors of physical media, and for a flash drive it causes massive wear and takes forever while a security erase is normally near immediate. Alan

Thank you for your answers, they should be very helpful for someone who is actually blanking or shredding their disks. However, I am just genuinely interested on why is no better CSPRNG algorithm used in the kernel (is it simply because no-one sent a patch or am I missing something?).