Re: [RFC] Second attempt at kernel secure boot support

From: Alan Cox
Date: Thu Nov 01 2012 - 17:53:12 EST

On Thu, 1 Nov 2012 21:34:52 +0000
Matthew Garrett <mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 01, 2012 at 09:37:51PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > On Thu, 1 Nov 2012 21:28:43 +0000
> > Matthew Garrett <mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Lawyers won't remove blacklist entries.
> >
> > Fear Uncertainty and Doubt
> >
> > Courts do, injunctions do, the possibilty of getting caught with theirs
> > hands in the till does.
>
> I think you've misunderstood. Blacklist updates are append only.

I think you've misunderstood - thats a technical detail that merely
alters the cost to the people who did something improper.

If Red Hat want to ship a kernel that is very very locked down - fine.
It's a business choice and maybe it'll sell to someone. The
implementation is non-offensive in its mechanism for everyone else so
technically I don't care, but the 'quiver before our new masters and lick
their boots' stuff isn't a technical (or sane business) approach so can
we cut the trying to FUD other people into doing what you believe your
new master requires.

Alan