Re: [RFC] Second attempt at kernel secure boot support

From: Jiri Kosina
Date: Thu Nov 01 2012 - 05:20:06 EST

On Thu, 1 Nov 2012, James Bottomley wrote:

> The point I'm making is that given that the majority of exploits will
> already be able to execute arbitrary code in-kernel, there's not much
> point trying to consider features like this as attacker prevention. We
> should really be focusing on discussing why we'd want to prevent a
> legitimate local root from writing to the suspend partition in a secure
> boot environment.

Well, this is being repeated over and over again when talking about secure
boot, right?

My understanding is that we are not trying to protect against root
exploiting the kernel. We are trying to protect against root tampering
with the kernel code and data through legitimate use of kernel-provided
facilitiies (/dev/mem, ioperm, reprogramming devices to DMA to arbitrary
memory locations, resuming from hibernation image that has been tampered
with, etc).

Or perhaps I just misunderstood the point you were trying to make?

Thanks,

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs