Re: [RFC/PATCHSET 00/15] perf report: Add support to accumulate histperiods

From: Arun Sharma
Date: Mon Oct 29 2012 - 17:38:50 EST

On 10/29/12 12:08 PM, Peter Zijlstra wrote:

Right, so I tried this and I would expect the callchains to be inverted
too, so that when I expand say 'c' I would see that 'c' calls 'b' for
100% which calls 'a' for 100%.

Instead I get the regular callchains, expanding 'c' gives me main calls
it for 100%.

Adding -G (invert callchains) doesn't make it better, in that case, when
I expand 'c' we start at '__libc_start_main' instead of 'c'.

Is there anything I'm missing?

Sounds like a reasonable expectation.

I tested mainly:

perf report --cumulate -g graph,100,callee

to find the functions with a large amount of CPU time underneath. Then examined the callgraph without --cumulate. But yeah - it'd be nice to be able to do both in a single invocation.

Also, when callgraphs are displayed, the percentages are off (> 100%). Namhyung probably needs to use he->stat_acc->period in a few places as the denominator instead of he->period.

-Arun