Re: [sqlite] light weight write barriers

From: Vladislav Bolkhovitin
Date: Fri Oct 26 2012 - 21:55:20 EST

Theodore Ts'o, on 10/25/2012 09:50 AM wrote:
Yeah.... I don't buy that. One, flash is still too expensive. Two,
the capital costs to build enough Silicon foundries to replace the
current production volume of HDD's is way too expensive for any
company to afford (the cloud providers are buying *huge* numbers of
HDD's) --- and that's assuming companies wouldn't chose to use those
foundries for products with larger margins --- such as, for example,
CPU/GPU chips. :-) And third and finally, if you study the long-term
trends in terms of Data Retention Time (going down), Program and Read
Disturb (going up), and Write Endurance (going down) as a function of
feature size and/or time, you'd be wise to treat flash as nothing more
than short-term cache, and not as a long term stable store.

If end users completely give up on flash, and store all of their
precious family pictures on flash storage, after a couple of years,
they are likely going to be very disappointed....

Speaking personally, I wouldn't want to have anything on flash for
more than a few months at *most* before I made sure I had another copy
saved on spinning rust platters for long-term retention.

Here I agree with you.

Vlad