Re: MMTests 0.06

From: Mel Gorman
Date: Fri Oct 26 2012 - 04:00:02 EST

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 03:48:48PM +0800, Ni zhan Chen wrote:
> On 10/12/2012 10:51 PM, Mel Gorman wrote:
> >MMTests 0.06 is a configurable test suite that runs a number of common
> >workloads of interest to MM developers. There are multiple additions
> >all but in many respects the most useful will be automatic package
> >installation. The package names are based on openSUSE but it's easy to
> >create mappings in bin/install-depends where the package names differ. The
> >very basics of monitoring NUMA efficiency is there as well and the autonuma
> >benchmark has a test. The stats it reports for NUMA need significant
> >improvement but for the most part that should be straight forward.
> >
> >Changelog since v0.05
> >o Automatically install packages (need name mappings for other distros)
> >o Add benchmark for autonumabench
> >o Add support for benchmarking NAS with MPI
> >o Add pgbench for autonumabench (may need a bit more work)
> >o Upgrade postgres version to 9.2.1
> >o Upgrade kernel verion used for kernbench to 3.0 for newer toolchains
> >o Alter mailserver config to finish in a reasonable time
> >o Add monitor for perf sched
> >o Add moinitor that gathers ftrace information with trace-cmd
> >o Add preliminary monitors for NUMA stats (very basic)
> >o Specify ftrace events to monitor from config file
> >o Remove the bulk of whats left of VMRegress
> >o Convert shellpacks to a template format to auto-generate boilerplate code
> >o Collect lock_stat information if enabled
> >o Run multiple iterations of aim9
> >o Add basic regression tests for Cross Memory Attach
> >o Copy with preempt being enabled in highalloc stres tests
> >o Have largedd cope with a missing large file to work with
> >o Add a monitor-only mode to just capture logs
> >o Report receive-side throughput in netperf for results
> >
> >At LSF/MM at some point a request was made that a series of tests
> >be identified that were of interest to MM developers and that could be
> >used for testing the Linux memory management subsystem. There is renewed
> >interest in some sort of general testing framework during discussions for
> >Kernel Summit 2012 so here is what I use.
> >
> >http://www.csn.ul.ie/~mel/projects/mmtests/
> >http://www.csn.ul.ie/~mel/projects/mmtests/mmtests-0.06-mmtests-0.01.tar.gz
> >
> >There are a number of stock configurations stored in configs/. For example
> >config-global-dhp__pagealloc-performance runs a number of tests that
> >may be able to identify performance regressions or gains in the page
> >allocator. Similarly there network and scheduler configs. There are also
> >more complex options. config-global-dhp__parallelio-memcachetest will run
> >memcachetest in the foreground while doing IO of different sizes in the
> >background to measure how much unrelated IO affects the throughput of an
> >in-memory database.
> >
> >This release is also a little rough and the extraction scripts could
> >have been tidier but they were mostly written in an airport and for the
> >most part they work as advertised. I'll fix bugs as according as they are
> [...]

Sure. Look at bin/install-depends and you'll see near the top of the file
this declaration.

my %package_map = (
"debian::zlib-devel" => "zlib1g-dev",
"debian::gcc-fortran" => "gfortran",
"debian::gcc-c++" => "g++",
"debian::diffutils" => "diff",
);

This says for example that the zlib-devel package in openSUSE is called
zlib1g-dev in Debian. Send me the mappings of the different packages for your
distribution or edit this file yourself, send me the patch and I'll add them.

--
Mel Gorman
SUSE Labs