Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the akpm tree

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Wed Oct 24 2012 - 15:38:36 EST

On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 12:19:39 -0700
Joe Perches <joe@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 2012-10-23 at 13:02 -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:

> > > printk_syslog.c includes kernel.h (it includes types.h)
> > > and printk_log.h.
> > >
> > > I think printk_syslog.h doesn't need printk_log.h
> >
> > A general rule is that the header file shouldn't know or care what else
> > it's includer has included. Ideally it shouldn't know or care what
> > else its includees have included, either.
> >
> > A fun test would be
> >
> > for i in *.h
> > echo $i > foo.c
> > make foo.o
> > done
>
> A whole lot of things in include/ fail this.

I bet.

> Do you really think that anything using u8/16/32/64
> should include types.h?

Well, yes. If someone writes a C file which includes such a header as
fisst-included then OK, it will fail and they'll fix things up. But
where the problems occur is when that file is *not* the first-included,
but they happened to get types.h via another Kconfig-dependent include.
Later, the build explodes for someone else. The only reliable way of
avoiding this is for each file to include its dependencies.

I don't think it's worth going off and trying to "fix" all of this
though. Such an exercise has its own risks and this problem just isn't
that big - it happens often enough, but it's very easy to fix.