Re: when to switch from early_ioremap to ioremap

From: Yinghai Lu
Date: Tue Oct 23 2012 - 16:54:25 EST

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 12:42 PM, Olaf Hering <olaf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> To obtain an address to a PFN in init_hypervisor_platform (called from
> arch/x86/kernel/setup.c:setup_arch) I use early_ioremap. Later the
> address to that PFN needs to be obtained with ioremap, and early_iounmap
> needs to be called on the first address.
>
> When is the time to obtain and use the new pointer, and to release to
> old pointer? Right now I do that in the pci-device setup code, which
> happens to work. Unfortunately early_ioremap is not mentioned in
> Documentation/, hence the question.

usually early_ioremap is used in this way:
map it and check it and unmap it. and some time you could back up it
before unmap.

you should only use early_iomap and early_memmap during SYSTEM_BOOTING

and check_early_ioremap_leak in late_initcall will check if all early
one get unmapped.

for 32bit, there is more requirement: you can not cross init_memory_mapping.
early_ioremap_page_table_range_init/early_ioremap_reset will be
called in init_memory_mapping.

Also early_ioremap has slot limitation: 4. and you should not hold one
slot too long, otherwise other users could
have problem to reach the limit.

Yinghai