Re: Initial report on F2FS filesystem performance

From: Vyacheslav Dubeyko
Date: Sun Oct 21 2012 - 05:21:56 EST

On Oct 20, 2012, at 11:22 PM, Pavel Machek wrote:

> On Tue 2012-10-16 13:07:03, Sooman Jeong wrote:
>>
>> This is a brief summary of our initial filesystem performance study of f2fs against existing two filesystems in linux: EXT4, NILFS2, and f2fs.
>>

> Hmm, flashes are actually optimized for VFAT, right? Can you compare
> against that?

Do you mean SD-cards? Because, as I can understand, "raw" flash (I mean NAND chip) hasn't any special filesystem-related optimization. Moreover, as I know, this optimization takes place in the begin of device (because FAT metadata is placed in the volume's begin). But if you have several partition on a device then you haven't any optimizations for second and next FAT partitions. So, in-place modified metadata of f2fs is placed in the begin of the volume also.

Or, maybe, do you mean some another special optimization for VFAT?

> What about something more complex like "untar of kernel tree"?

Yes, it is very interesting use-case. Maybe, kernel compilation can be complimentary synthetic benchmark. :-)

With the best regards,
Vyacheslav Dubeyko.