Re: [Perf] Adding timeout option

From: Pádraig Brady
Date: Sat Oct 20 2012 - 12:57:35 EST

On 10/13/2012 08:54 AM, abhishek agarwal wrote:
Hi folks..

I was thinking that why cant we have a timeout option in perf stat
command. The timeout feature will help us to profile a process for a
stipulated time (preferably in millisecs) and make perf stat return
after that time.
Eg:

perf stat --timeout=10 sleep 100

This will make perf return and report stats after 10 ms...

Hope anyone can shed some more light on the idea

It seems preferable to use the timeout program to do this.
Either sending a handled signal to the perf process like:

timeout -s HUP 10 perf stat sleep 100

Or even better, just use that to kill the monitored process itself

perf stat timeout 10 sleep 100

cheers,
Pádraig.