Re: RFC: sign the modules at install time

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Oct 17 2012 - 19:50:40 EST

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 4:25 PM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It really should work fine with the much simplified module-signing
> rules too.

Actually, my "much simplified modules-install" is a bit broken.

It worked for me last time (I'm running that kernel and modules now),
but I just triggered a

INSTALL Documentation/connector/cn_test.ko
Can't read Signer name

error.

My patch is broken, and I simplified a bit *too* much. In particular
the .signer and .keyid logic got thrown out with the bathwater.

I just hadn't noticed until I did a "git clean", because the old
signer/keyid files had stayed around, hiding the breakage.

I'll send out a fixed patch asap,

Linus