Re: kernel BUG at fs/buffer.c:3205 (stable 3.5.3)

From: Alexander Holler
Date: Sun Oct 14 2012 - 05:11:04 EST

Am 02.10.2012 11:30, schrieb Alexander Holler:
Am 01.10.2012 11:21, schrieb Alexander Holler:
Hello,

Am 01.10.2012 11:10, schrieb Jan Kara:

sha1sum Tainted: P O 3.5.4-00009-gfa43f23-dirty #228
BTW, fglrx moodule taints the kernel because it is a proprietary
driver.

I know.

Can you reproduce the issue without this module loaded?

I will try it with a clean 3.6. Most of the 9 additional patches here
are for ARM boxes, but anyway. I will need a few days.

Just tried my "tar cp . | mbuffer | bzip2smp >/usb3/ext4/foo.tar.bz2
using a kernel 3.6 without using fglrx and without any additional
patches. The first try already ended up in a broken archive (tar djf =>
bzip2: Data integrity error when decompressing), but (again) without the
BUG() in fs/buffer.c getting hit. Will do some more tests, trying hit
that BUG().

I found the problem. Looks like either the RAM, CPU or the stuff inbetween is broken because I see some memory failures (1 bit flipped on some bytes) when using memtest(86+).

The people which are responsible that the chips for "consumer"-HW and laptops got their (already included) ECC functionality disabled should get hit with Googles (now 3y old) study on that topic all the day. Leaving customers in danger by not offering them at least the possibility to use ECC RAM is just stupid.

Sorry to everyone whose time I've wasted.

Regards,

Alexander