Re: [regression] boot failure on alpha, bisected

From: Al Viro
Date: Sun Oct 07 2012 - 13:08:50 EST

On Sun, Oct 07, 2012 at 06:55:34PM +0200, Oleg Nesterov wrote:

> Hmm. I know nothing about arch/alpha and I can't understand its entry.S.
> But _it seems_ to me that do_notify_resume() is called with irqs disabled.
> If this is true, then imho arch/alpha should be fixed.
>
> Before this commit task_work_run() enabled irqs, but this was the "side
> effect" of spin_lock_irq/spin_unlock_irq, we should not rely on this.

Um... There's a bunch of architectures that are in the same situation.
grep for do_notify_resume() and you'll see...

It needs to be dealt with sanely, and actually have patches for alpha
going in that direction, but breaking a bunch of architectures is not a good
thing, obviously. So you've bought yourself a major PITA for coming
weeks...