Re: [net:master 1/9] pch_gbe_main.c:(.text+0x510370): undefined referenceto `pch_ch_control_write'

From: Haicheng Li
Date: Sat Oct 06 2012 - 13:21:04 EST

From: Haicheng Li<haicheng.li@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 22:07:23 +0800

From: Haicheng Li<haicheng.li@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 20:07:08 +0800

The failure is due to the CONFIG_PPS is not set there, consequently
CONFIG_PTP_1588_CLOCK can not be set as =y anyway.

So David's patch of "da1586461e53a4dd045738cce309ab488970f0ef [1/9]
pch_gbe: Fix PTP dependencies" is buggy. Furthermore, I think using
"selects" to resolve such dependency issue is not good idea as it
won't visit the dependencies.

David, I would still suggest to take my original patch:
https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/9/28/70

+ depends on PTP_1588_CLOCK_PCH&& (PCH_GBE=m || PTP_1588_CLOCK_PCH=y)

or simply like:

This is all very rediculous if you ask me.

Why should the user have to know a detail like the underlying
PTP chip type just to enable PTP on his networking card?

Because that is what you are making him do with your change.

Select removed the necessity of the user having to know these
things.
However it possibly breaks the build...

IMHO, the reason why the dependency of PCH_PTP becomes so tricky is
that the code of these two modules call the functions of each other
(bad code structure?). To fix it neatly, either we restructure the
code or just simply make it:
+ depends on PTP_1588_CLOCK_PCH=y

For PCH_GBE=m case, it does be able to pass the build test, but I'm
afraid it won't be smoothly workable via "insmod" due to the
codependency of these two when PCH_PTP is enabled.

Then why does it work for IXGBE and others who use select?

They explicitly select all the possible dependencies if they are bug-free (I didn't strictly check them).

Take IXGBE_PTP as example, it explicitly selects PPS, and also depends on EXPERIMENTAL:
config IXGBE_PTP
bool "PTP Clock Support"
default n
depends on IXGBE && EXPERIMENTAL
select PPS
select PTP_1588_CLOCK

So if you stick to use "select" as the convention of such build issue fixing, fengguang's build failure would be fixed by:
+ depends on EXPERIMENTAL
+ select PPS
+ select PTP_1588_CLOCK

would you prefer this way?