Re: 3.5 regression on i915

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Sat Oct 06 2012 - 03:27:09 EST

On Sat, Oct 06, 2012 at 01:58:45AM +0200, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 06, 2012 at 09:48:57AM +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:
> > Any reason you don't have KMS, you'll keep hitting these non-kms bugs
> > since it has no users anymore really.
> >
> > Granted they'll get fixed, but I suspect its a losing battle over time.
>
> Well, back in old times every time I tried to enable it, I only ran into
> problems so I got used to disable it, which made sense since it didn't
> bring me any benefit.

OK I found why in the end. When I enable KMS, my X server fails to start
and segfaults in intel_drv.so. So I think that the comment in Kconfig
below is quite appropriate :

config DRM_I915_KMS
bool "Enable modesetting on intel by default"
depends on DRM_I915
help
Choose this option if you want kernel modesetting enabled by default,
and you have a new enough userspace to support this. Running old
userspaces with this enabled will cause pain. Note that this causes
the driver to bind to PCI devices, which precludes loading things
like intelfb.

Regards,
Willy