Re: [RFC] perf: perf_event_attr anon unions and static initializerissue

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Fri Oct 05 2012 - 07:01:29 EST

On Fri, 2012-10-05 at 12:36 +0200, Stephane Eranian wrote:

> struct perf_event_attr attr = { .config = 0x1234, .config1 = 0x456 };

> Does anyone have a better solution to propose?

struct perf_event_attr attr = {
.config = 0x1234,
{ .config1 = 0x5678 },
};

sometimes works, but apparently not in this case.. its a bit unfortunate
indeed. EDG based compilers and the latest C std use your version --
hence also 4.6 supporting it.

Yeah, I'm afraid we're stuck with this until a future where modern C
isn't modern anymore.