Re: [RFC, PATCH] Extensible AIO interface

From: Kent Overstreet
Date: Thu Oct 04 2012 - 15:37:59 EST

On Wed, Oct 03, 2012 at 03:15:26PM -0400, Jeff Moyer wrote:
> Kent Overstreet <koverstreet@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> >> You can do this today by splitting I/O between processes and placing
> >> those processes in different cgroups. For io priority, there is
> >> ioprio_set, which incurs an extra system call, but can be used. Not
> >> elegant, but possible.
> >
> > Yes - those are things I'm trying to replace. Doing it that way is a
> > real pain, both as it's a lousy interface for this and it does impact
> > performance (ioprio_set doesn't really work too well with aio, too).
>
> ioprio_set works fine with aio, since the I/O is issued in the caller's
> context. Perhaps you're thinking of writeback I/O?

Until you want to issue different IOs with different priorities...

> >> Please explain how you will differentiate this from posix_fadvise.
> >
> > Oh sorry, I think about SSD caching so much I forget to say that's what
> > I'm talking about. posix_fadvise is for the page cache, we want
> > something different for an SSD cache (IMO it'd be really ugly to use it
> > for both, and posix_fadvise() can't really specifify everything we'd
> > want to for an SSD cache).
>
> DESCRIPTION
> Programs can use posix_fadvise() to announce an intention to
> access file data in a specific pattern in the future, thus
> allowing the kernel to perform appropriate optimizations.
>
> That description seems broad enough to include disk caches as well. You
> haven't exactly stated what's missing.

It _could_ work for SSD caches, but that doesn't mean you'd want it to -
it doesn't have any way of specifying which cache you want the hint to
apply to, and there are certainly circumstances under which you
_wouldn't_ want it to apply to both.

And making it apply to SSD caches would be silently changing the
behavior, and also like I mentioned it's not sufficient for SSD caches.

> >> *No.* Start with the non-AIO case first.
> >
> > Why? It is orthogonal to AIO (and I should make that clearer), but to do
> > it for sync IO we'd need new syscalls that take an extra argument so IMO
> > it's a bit easier to start with AIO.
> >
> > Might be worth implementing the sync interface sooner rather than later
> > just to discover any potential issues, I suppose.
>
> Looking back to preadv and pwritev, it was wrong to only add them to
> libaio (and that later got corrected). I'd just like to see things
> start out with the sync interfaces, since you'll get more eyes on the
> code (not everyone cares about aio) and that helps to work out any
> interface issues.

I agree we don't want to leave out sync versions, but honestly this
stuff is more useful with AIO and that's the easier place to start.

> > It's not possible in general - consider stacking block devices, and
> > attrs that are supported only by specific block drivers. I.e. if you've
> > got lvm on top of bcache or bcache on top of md, we can pass the attr
> > down with the IO but we can't determine ahead of time, in general, where
> > the IO is going to go.
>
> If the io stack is static (meaning you setup a device once, then open it
> and do io to it, and it doesn't change while you're doing io), how would
> you not know where the IO is going to go?

With something like dm, md or bcache - you've got multiple underlying
devices, and of those underlying devices which one the IO goes to is not
something you can in general predict ahead of time.

> > But that probably isn't true for most attrs so it probably would be a
> > good idea to have an interface for querying what's supported, and even
> > for device specific ones you could query what a device supports.
>
> OK.

> >> One could imagine that attributes don't return anything, because, well,
> >> they're properties of something else, and properties don't return
> >> anything.
> >
> > With a strict definition of attribute, yeah. One of the real uses cases
> > we have for this is per IO timings, for aio - right now we've got an
> > interface for the kernel to tell userspace how long a syscall took
> > (don't think it's upstream yet - Paul's been behind that stuff), but it
> > only really makes sense with synchronous syscalls.
>
> Something beyond recording the time spent in the kernel? Paul who? I
> agree the per io timing for aio may be coarse-grained today (you can
> time the difference between io_submit returning and the event being
> returned by io_getevents, but that says nothing of when the io was
> issued to the block layer). I'm curious to know exactly what
> granularity you want here, and what an application would do with that
> information. You can currently access a whole lot of detail of the io
> path through blktrace, but that is not easily done from within an
> application.

Paul Turner, scheduler guy.

Believe it's both syscall time and IO time (i.e. what you'd get from
blktrace). It's basically used for visibility in filesystem type stuff,
for monitoring latency - rpc latency isn't enough, you really need to
know why things are slow and that could be as simple as a disk going
bad.